Sunday, July 8, 2007

I Feel Good (na na na na na na na)

We went to the beach yesterday. No, we didn’t jet away anywhere, but right here in England, we woke up to sunshine! (In case you heard something unusual out your window this weekend, that was me singing the Hallelujah Chorus from all the way over here.) After more than two weeks of rain-rain-rain, it was a very happy Saturday indeed. So we spent the morning doing some much-needed home and garden maintenance and the afternoon playing at the edge of a nearby reservoir. There’s no swimming allowed due to all the swans and ducks, but the beach has a fresh layer of brown-sugar sand this summer and it’s one of our favorite parks around. Jack got more practice riding his bike: “Let go of me, Daddy. I can do it by myself!” Sophie got used to putting her toes in… then sitting in… then walking on the sand. It really felt like summer!

Another highlight of our week was that Jack had his first school Sports Day on Thursday. Normally I try to maintain my composure and blend into my environment, but that day I was the Loud and Proud American Mom. Oh my goodness, the next 15 years flashed before my eyes as I stood cheering my boy on to victory in the beanbag toss and other relay games.

But our biggest news is that, as of this week, we passed the one-year mark of living here. That may not sound like a long time, but after putting down roots and being uprooted several times in our eight years together, finally being at this stage of settling into our present place just really feels good.

2 comments:

Sharon Brumfield said...

Sounds like ya'll had a great day.It is good to be able to get out and spend a little time in nature.

Dani said...

Hi Miss Berge!! Congrats on having been there for a year - I've just been in my place for a year and a bit, it's a great feeling. Anyways - love your blog!