Saturday, December 27, 2008

You Can Take The Woman Out Of Africa, But You Can Never Take Africa Out Of Her Heart

I can't help but mention that today is the one-year anniversary of the presidential election after which all Hell broke loose in Kenya.

Africa is never far from my thoughts and prayers, but especially on a day like today, the title of this fascinating article on the Times Online site grabbed my attention. It's one thing to hear a testimonial like this from a Christian. But coming from a self-proclaimed unbeliever, it packs a powerful punch: As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God by Matthew Parris

... Now just how to reconcile the deplorable events of last year with the statistics that 78% of Kenyans identify themselves as Christians? Or how about Rwanda in 1994, considered one of the most "Christian" countries in the world (80-90%)? As both a believer in Jesus and a lover of Africa, I am troubled by these blatant inconsistencies.

Then again, if I'm honest about my own "Christian" culture, I can find plenty of troubling things-that-should-never-have-been-said-or-done, right up to the present day, many of them in the name of Christ. Oh Lord, save us from ourselves!

(P.S. Like many of my favorite people, Mr. Parris is a TCK -- a third culture kid. Methinks this has a lot to do with his gutsy, balanced analysis. To read more about TCKs and their unique view of the world, check out this blog site.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>To read more about TCKs and
>their unique view of the
>world, check out this blog
>site.)

Thanks Laura! I'm honoured that you pointed your readers to my site to learn more about TCKs. May I also mention TCKid.com, which is an online resource for those wishing for further information?

Thanks & God bless!
Susie