Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Top Ten Reasons Why I Love Autumn in England

10. It’s supposed to be cold and dreary outside.
9. On days when the sky is clear and blue, the air smells deliciously crisp.
8. Speaking of deliciously crisp, Cox apples have become my new favorite -- the classic English apple.
7. Now that the sun is coming up later, Jack and especially Sophie are sleeping in a bit later in the mornings.
6. Multi-colored leaves blanket the sidewalks on the way to/from Jack’s school.
5. Everywhere I look, I’m reminded of growing up in Michigan (where fall reigns supreme).
4. Foggy mornings like today take me back to Kijabe in the rainy season.
3. I feel compelled to make things like chicken-pot-pie, chili with corn bread and pear-ginger muffins.
2. Pumpkins and butternut squash are available in the markets.
1. Tea is appropriate all day long!

This afternoon the kids and I walked up to the train station and rode a few stops to a neighboring town. We walked along the high street and up to the duck pond, moseying along and enjoying the glorious fall day. Just being out in it felt like pure luxury -- visiting the various charity shops (of course!), checking in at the pet shop to see the kittens and bunnies, feeding the ducks, stopping at my favorite café for a cappuccino (me) and smoothies (Jack and Sophie) before heading back home.

I’ve always been an autumn-fever kind of girl, and today was one of those perfect days I’ll carry in my mind for years to come.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ah, rainy season in ol' Kijabe. There were quite a few days I remember walking up the hill in that dense dense fog.

Thanks for the memories. :)