Sunday, June 24, 2007

Step By Step

“It’s amazing what God does with little steps of faith.”

These were the words of an old man in our fellowship who led the service this morning. Turns out that this month marks the 50th anniversary that he and his wife sailed to Ethiopia to teach the Bible and train pastors there. Also turns out that, when they had to leave Ethiopia because of that country’s revolution in the 1970s, he served first as a lecturer and then principal of London Bible College, now London School of Theology. (I guess you just never know who might be sitting in the next pew!)

In the years since their return to the UK, Peter has gone back and forth to Ethiopia numerous times. Along the way he has:
➢ Helped establish the Ethiopian Graduate School of Theology
➢ Started a feeding center to provide breakfast for 600 street children six days a week (for most, it's their only guaranteed meal each day)
➢ Raised funds to build three new dormitories for a women’s prison (what were just tin sheds are now solid buildings complete with cheery yellow walls, proper bunks, floral sheets and warm blankets)

He's in his early 80s now, but his ministry among the prisons started fairly recently. And he still works part-time here, lecturing at the LST Centre for Islamic Studies. And he writes and reviews books. Just goes to show, it ain't over til it's over.

I was mesmerized as he spoke from the first nine verses of the book of Joshua, telling about God’s faithfulness over the years and casually dropping phrases like during our first kidnapping and in our first famine… Oh my goodness, can you imagine joyfully declaring the goodness of God after being kidnapped once or experiencing the misery of a single famine? Yet here was this man saying, Every bit of serving God is worth it, no matter what. He’s as good as His word. Take it from me, if you trust and obey you’ll never be sorry. There's nothing better. Easier, maybe, but not better.

This week, Thursday, is my 40th birthday -- shocking, I know. Although I've lived less than half the years that Peter Cotterell has, I've come to the same conclusion.

I don’t know where you are in your journey with God or what steps of faith are facing you at the moment, but I clearly remember the chapel service at Asbury College when I responded to His call on my life. I promised to follow Him anywhere in the world, as long as He would guide me each step of the way. And I can say, He has done just that. I remember thinking, “If this is God’s will, it’s the only thing I’ll ever be truly happy doing.” Guess what? It’s absolutely true!

Honestly, if it had been up to me, I would never have chosen this path for myself (my sights were set much narrower, much safer, much blander). Looking back I’m so relieved, so grateful for those little steps of faith and for the faithfulness of my great big God, and I'm continually amazed by His grace and the ways in which He’s taken me from who I was, where I was then, to who I am, where I am now. Looking forward to the next half of my life (Lord willing), I'm excited to see by Peter's example that there's still plenty of time and so much yet I can do to impact my generation for God, as I follow Him step by step.

* * * * * * *
Be strong and courageous... Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. Do not deviate from them, turning either to the right or to the left. Then you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. This is My command: be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go. (Joshua 1:6-9 NLT)


I want to serve the purpose of God in my generation
I want to serve the purpose of God while I am alive
I want to give my life for something that will last forever
Oh, I delight, I delight to do Your will

I want to build with silver and gold in my generation
I want to build with silver and gold while I am alive
I want to give my life for something that will last forever
Oh, I delight, I delight to do Your will

What is on Your heart?
Tell me what to do
Let me know Your will
And I will follow You

I want to see the Lord come again in my generation
I want to see the Lord come again while I am alive
I want to give my life for something that will last forever
Oh, I delight, I delight to do Your will

(Words and music by Mark Altrogge)

No comments: