Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Default Mode

Bono sings: “Where do you go when you’re lonely? Where do you go when you’re blue?”

I add: “What instincts kick in when you want to relax, unwind, clear your head, regroup? What music feels like home? What time of day makes you feel most alive?”

Not that I’m feeling particularly lonely or blue (although Matt’s away this week, we’ve had sunny, blue skies and fun things planned with friends). As the only adult in the house, though, I got to thinking about things I do by default, about where my comfort zone is, because recently I’ve caught myself:

• Inviting friends over for somewhat impromptu tea parties and a baby shower for Nicola, my closest friend here
• Baking muffins, scones and streusel bars for somewhat impromptu tea parties and a baby shower
• Listening to Andraé Crouch and John Denver
• Going back outside after the kids are in bed, watering and admiring the green things growing in our little garden

So this is me -- when left to my own devices -- I host, I bake, I listen to the music I grew up on, and this time of year I drink in the quiet softness of longer, almost-summer evenings.

No comments: